Cigarettes in El Salvador, 2019
El Salvador is the smallest country in Central America, but has one of the largest economies in the region and a population of just under 6.2 million people. Cigarette consumption in the legitimate duty paid market was estimated at 565 million pieces in 2018 or 35.3% of sales in 1990. Contraband has been a sporadic problem for the market, re-asserting its presence since 2012 and leading to a subsequent collapse in duty paid sales. In per capita terms, consumption was low at 91 pieces per capita per year in 2018.
Cigarettes in El Salvador, 2019 is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Salvadoran tobacco market. It covers market size and structure along with per capita and overall consumption. Additionally, it focuses on brand data, retail pricing, prospects, and forecasts for sales and consumption until 2028.
- Cigarette sales are set to suffer as a result of the new, tougher, regulatory stance of the authorities towards smoking and the persistent presence of contraband whose main source is Belize.
- PMI is predicted to no longer be the market leader, having overtaken BAT for the first time in 2003. The company had a reduced 35% of sales in 2018.
- Some 23.5% of adults were estimated to be smokers in 2018 or around one million. This is down on recent years with smoking incidence among both men and women in steady decline.
- Annual per capita consumption peaked at 328 pieces in 1991, during the time when cigarettes were still manufactured locally. Levels of consumption in 2017 were down 67.5% down on 1990.
Reasons to buy
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers. Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market. Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
Table of Contents
List of Tables
List of Figures
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers & Brands
5. Taxation & Retail
5.2. Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production & Trade
8. Operating constraints
8.1. Advertising Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings/Labelling Requirements
8.3. Other Restrictions
9. Prospects & Forecasts
10.1. What is this Report About?
10.2. Time Frame
10.3. Product Category Coverage
10.5. About GlobalData
10.7. Contact Us
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2018
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2018
Table 3: Manufacturer Sales, Million Pieces, 2000-2018
Table 4: Manufacturer Market Shares, % Volume, 2000-2018
Table 5: Smoking Population, 1990-2018
Table 6: Cigarette Production, 1990-1998
Table 7: Imports of Cigarettes, Volume & Value, 1990-2017
Table 8: Imports by Country of Origin, Volume, Million Pieces, 2007-2017
Table 9: Imports by Country of Origin, Volume, % Breakdown, 2007-2017
Table 10: Consumption Forecasts to 2028
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology
Figure 2: GlobalData at a Glance
Ask for discount before buying this report
Please fill the enquiry form below.
For Enquiries, Call :
+1-800-998-4852US Toll Free
Email : email@example.com